Monday, October 11, 2010

Spinach Italian Sausage Soup


I been trying to use up all the ingredients I had left over from the previous times.  Now that I finally used it all up, I don't think I will be cooking anything with italian sausage for a while.  You can always omit the italian sausage in this recipe for something leaner like ground chicken.  I didn't use any salt in this soup because the italian sausage already has it.  I even opt for low sodium chicken broth and it didn't even need salt.  You do have to cook it down a little for the flavors to develop for this soup.


Spinach Italian Sausage Soup
Serves 4.

Ingredients:
2 italian sausages, casing removed
1 garlic, minced
1 /4 c. carrots, minced
2 celery sticks, minced
pinch of ground black pepper
1 (32 oz.) low sodium chicken broth
1 handful of spinach leaves, torn
1 t. grated parmesan cheese (optional) 


Directions:

1.  In a medium sized pot over medium high heat, brown the italian sausage and ground it up with a wooden spoon.  Then add the minced garlic, carrots and celery, cook for 4 minutes.

2.  Add the chicken broth and a pinch of ground black pepper.  Simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Finally add the torn spinach leaves and 1 t. of grated parmesan cheese, optional.  Simmer for an additional 3 minutes.  Serve with oyster crackers or with rice!


Enjoy!


2 comments:

Reeni said...

Your soup looks so yummy! I ♥ Italian Sausage!

jilliandanica said...

I made some of this last night! I skipped the carrots to keep it lower in carbs and I used spicy chicken sausage from Trader Joe's. It was really tasty!

Post a Comment